Thursday, January 6, 2011

Perception and the Media..... Too Smart To Be Stupid or Too Stupid to be Smart?

Whenever I have a conversation about the media's effect on people's perception, I get the same line: "That works on stupid kids who have low self-esteem. No video, magazine or picture can make me think I'm not beautiful." Yet these are the same girls who want a body like Nicki Minaj or Beyonce. I refuse to believe all of these girls are in denial about body image. I've come to the conclusion the media has gotten so good at implanting ideas into people, many don't even know it.

Being oblivious, just like denial, is dangerous because you cannot identify and combat the ideas that come your way. Thinking that you aren't susceptible to the influences of the media makes you all the more vulnerable.

The media influences not only what you think of yourself, but what you think of others. Through portraying stereotypes and created news, your idea of a group can be altered. Especially if you haven’t come in contact with the group personally.

All Jamaicans have dreads and smoke weed….. right?

It’s like someone installed a virus into your brain’s hard drive and they are altering information without your permission.

I would love to think I am too smart to fall under the influence of the media, but I say that honestly. Sometimes I find myself in the mirror sucking it in and having to remind myself that I’m fine just the way I am.

No comments: