Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Black Princess!!!!

Growing up as a child, Disney movies were my life! My house was (and still is) stocked with Disney movies. At any point you can find me humming the rhythm of a Disney tune or belting the last few notes of a ballad. When Disney decided to come out with their Disney Princess line I was elated... until I read the princesses who would be included: Aurora (from Sleeping beauty), Jasmine, Belle, Cinderella, Ariel and Snow White). At that moment it hit me, there was no black Disney princesses! I was shocked.... befuddled... and any other word to describe shocked confusion. After I gathered my life back together, I decided to just let it go.

But one day, I got word Disney was making a movie with a black princess..... My world stuttered its rotation a little. A whole movie? About a whole black princess? But as soon as that excitement wore off, the worry set in.

Where was she going to live? How were they going to portray her? What is her name going to be? Is she going to be light-skinned and Europeanized? Who was going to do her voice? How were they going to make her talk? Are they going to BS this movie so they can say they did it?

All of these questions spun around as this movie was at the forefront of the media. Also, this movie would not only play a big part in some you black girl's life. There would be a princess she could relate to. This movie could possibly be child's first exposure to African Americans. I wanted it to be PERFECT! It had to be!

Well..... To sum up this post. The movie was PERFECT! Good music, funny characters1, a good storyline, and Tiana was represented as a hardworking woman with a dream. In my own personal joy, they had Anika Noni Rose playing Tiana. Idk why, but she's one of those stars I wish I could carry around in my purse! She's sooo pretty! I digress!


1: Especially Ray although I AM NOT PLEASED with his death. To this day I don't forgive Disney.

No comments: