Thursday, February 17, 2011

ProSocial Games: Response to I'm Ready to Graduate

When I was little, the first video game system I ever owned was a Nintendo64. Being that I wasn't the only person in the house interested in the game, I had had to share the system with my older sister and my uncle. Being a teenage boy that did not wan to be stuck playing A Bug's Life and racing games, he went out and bought 007 GodlenEye.
The basic point of the game is to kill people. If you are playing the multi-player game, you simply hunt down your opponent and kill them. This is not the type of games a 9 year old should be playing. Yet.... that's exactly what I did for hours.... I still do when I go home. After each game, we wouldn't fight and pretend to kill each other. We would go on to the next game. Which was probably Doom on the MS-DOS computer (Don't Judge).

I don't think pro social video games really have an effect on children. When a child acts out something that happened in a video game, it is just the same as a man doing Wushu moves after a Jet Li movie. Does that man think he is a Wushu warrior? Is he about to try and ward of unsavory characters he may come across? Probably Not. Its just extending fun.... like continuing to sing a song after it went off the radio.

No comments: