Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Skintone and Identity

Is it ignorant to see someone and assume their ethnicity?

Everyone is guilty of it. When I see someone who exhibits the physical characteristics I associate with a certain race, I make an assumption of what race they represent. For example a person, black hair, yellow tinted skin and slanted eyes would be assumed as Asian.* In my own humble opinion, that doesn't make me wrong. Its association and everyone does it.
What would be wrong? If I were to come up to that person and start speaking Mandarin, or speaking English verrrrrrry slowllllly, then not only does that make me inconsiderate of personal space, but it also makes me ignorant. I believe the way you treat a person based on the classification you give them is more offensive than the act of classifying.

*-This sounds kind of sketchy but I don't mean to be offensive.

No comments: